The GP Careers Plus is a national NHS England-led 12 month pilot project for GPs who are looking to retire, or have announced their retirement to their practice, or who may be thinking about leaving the profession.
Howbeck Healthcare, in partnership with two of its Federations; North Staffordshire GP Federation and South Cheshire and Vale Royal GP Alliance successfully secured bids to become pilot sites. There are 11 pilot sites across the country.
Each Federation worked with interested GPs to develop a local scheme that is flexible and retains GPs to work locally in their geographical area.
This project helps practices to
- Retain clinicians on flexible terms
- Sustain primary care;
- Increase the medical workforce numbers in primary care;
- Attract new workforce to our local health economy
- Add skill mix, with standardised minimum expertise, within primary care;
- Act in an enabling role, helping to reduce the primary care healthcare team’s workload.